The Water Governance Research Initiative is a theme of the NCCARF Water Resources and Freshwater Biodiversity Adaptation Research Network (www.nccarf.edu.au/water/node/5). Our objectives are to create a community of conversation about water governance in Australia, build collaborative research links, create opportunities for co-researching and information sharing, and provide opportunities for early-career researchers to participate in a national network of researchers and research-users.
Registration is now open for the Water Governance Research Initiative 2011 National Workshop. This FREE event, to be held at the ANU Crawford School in Canberra, will run for 2 days (21-22 November), each with related but distinct objectives.
DAY ONE: REFLECTIONS ON AUSTRALIAN WATER REFORM
This day is set against the backdrop of the National Water Commission's Third Biennial Assessment Report (www.nwc.gov.au). The overall theme of the day is: On-going water governance reform - what directions? The day will feature presentations and conversations around key themes of the report.
· Report on key findings of the NWC's Third Biennial Assessment
· Summary of the main findings from the National Water Governance Research Network
· An international perspective on water reform with Canadian guest speaker Professor Rob de Loe (via video-link)
· Discussion of water reforms from a number of thematic perspectives (presented by leading researchers)
· Conversation mapping sessions
· Closing panel and plenary discussion
· Launch of Water Resources Management special issue on water governance
DAY TWO: SECURING A FUTURE FOR WATER GOVERNANCE RESEARCH IN AUSTRALIA
This day is aimed at reframing water governance and developing a policy brief based on recommendations into the NWC report and review. The day will feature panel presentations and discussions by network members. It will be structured around four panels on the themes of:
· Governing connectivity
· Learning from international experience
· Preparing and supporting early career researchers
· Securing a water governance research future.
See the Full Program or Register for the Workshop