The National Institute for Rural and Regional Australia (NIRRA), located in the Research School of Social Sciences at the Australian National University, was established in 2009 to promote Australian rural and regional social research to relevant audiences. The main focus of the institute's work is:
- To enhance collaboration between researchers, policy makers and community groups,
- To increase the accessibility, visibility and usability of social research on rural and regional Australia,
- To contribute to the production of policy relevant research outputs.
With a relatively modest budget, the Institute’s main focus is to build, enhance and promote the networks underpinning rural and regional social research in Australia. This includes making connections between the policy makers, the social researchers and the community through:
- a virtual network hosted on the NIRRA website,
- a program of seminars and events.